Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Malaysian Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce

Satay or Sate are little strips of skewered meat,chicken, fish or tofu that are usually grilled over a charcoal fire. None of my previous attempts at home made chicken satay could have prepared me for the delicious taste of real satay at a street hawker stall in Kuala Lumpur. I was surprised at how thin the chicken strips were. They were literally tiny morsels of super moist, flavorful, very lightly and beautifully spiced chicken. Every little bite was packed with the fragrance of lemongrass, coconut milk undertones and the smokiness from the charcoal grill. Rustic and succulent.

Satay3

The chicken satay was served alongside tiny wedges of steamed rice cakes and a savoury sweet sauce which was sharp but in a pleasant kind of way. I was hooked! And I made it a point to eat them every day for the rest of the vacation. Gluttony.

Having turned vegetarian for close to three years now, I occasionally do a tofu - take on traditional recipes. So when I saw these perfect looking tofu skewers on Susan's wonderful blog, I just had to make it......with much hindrance from S.
Tofu satays??? I could tell that the meat-atarian husband wasn't thrilled. I usually get this reaction when I substitute tofu or beans or potatoes for chicken or meat or fish - in an "otherwise great recipe" that wasn't meant to be made with Tofu( according to him).

Satay1

But then he loved them and asked that I make these again for his friends at a dinner next weekend. This is definitely an easy breezy appetizer to make when you have company. As all you have to do is whizz the marinade together, slice up and marinate the tofu and leave it the fridge until you're ready to grill them up!

I made my own version of the peanut sauce, as I didn't have the time to follow the suggested recipe. This recipe is based on the peanut sauce usually served at Thai restaurants in the USA. I loved the peanut sauce and it was great on toast for breakfast the next day!

Satay5

Recipe

For the tofu satays look for the original recipe here and for Susan's clever modifications here .

Easy Peanut Sauce - recipe follows

Ingredients

4 tbsps of chunky/creamy peanut butter or 1/2 cup roasted and skinned peanuts
1 tbsp of lemongrass chopped
2 shallots
1 tsp of soy sauce
1/2 tsp of sugar
8 dried chillies + 1 clove garlic soaked in 1 tsp of vinegar overnight

Recipe

Simply blend the ingredients together and taste for the right balance of flavors. Adjust seasoning accordingly.

Note - soak the bamboo skewers overnight in water to prevent them from burning or getting charred when grilling.
I didn't grill these satays, I just pan fried them on a hot, lightly greased griddle on all four sides until cooked through and browned on the outside.

Thank you Susan for sharing this delicious recipe!

19 comments:

  1. i remember seeing this in her blog. This is a delicious recipe and you have made it so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a simple one but looks very yummy...i had tried it with paneer with a diff marinade...ur recipe sounds interesting and will surely gonna try it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thks for visiting my blog dear...u have a lovely space n collection of recipes.....nice satay's..very appetizing...
    whr r u from BTW??

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great.I have been wanting to try these, thanks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, am hungry now..Such a delicious tofu satay Shwetha...U r rocking gal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a delicious dish..am just drooling over the click..awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tofu looks good, and the photos are good too! I don't know why I don't try this kind of stuff - just laziness, I guess! And the fact that they are gone so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sate never had with tofu, i think it is wonderfull to use tofu to make satay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shwetha, Thanks for the visit and the comments.
    You have such a lovely space. The clicks as well as your amusing stories are wonderful.
    Looking forward to trying some of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shwetha...thanks for stepping by my blog and the lovely comments...Nice tofu satay with peanut sauce...healthy and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi sweatha, wanted to share an award with u,pls do come and collect it from my blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Blogger,

    We are a group of students from cochin who are currently building a web portal on kerala. in which we wish to include a

    blog roll I found your interesting so inviting you to join our new venture
    you could find our site here: http://enchantingkerala.org

    the site is currently being constructed and will be finished by 1st of Oct 2009.

    we wish to include your blog located here

    http://cookieshutter.blogspot.com/

    we'll also have a feed fetcher which updates the recently updated blogs from among the listed blogs thus generating traffic

    to your recently posted entries.

    If you are interested in listing your site in our blog roll; kindly include a link to our site in your blog in the prescribed

    format and send us a reply to enchantingkerala.org@gmail.com and we'll add your blog immediately. Ypu can add to our blog if

    you have more blog pls sent us the link of other blog we will add here

    pls use the following format to link to us

    Kerala

    Write Back To me Over here bijoy20313@gmail.com

    hoping to hear from you soon.

    warm regards

    Biby Cletus

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Satay. Yesterday I had them at Banana leaf. Yummy pics! Thanks for sharing.

    This is my first time here. You have a lovely space girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Thanks Shwetha!! Where is your doggie now?

    These satays look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Shwetha..

    Thanks 4 visiting my my blog and ur sweet comments.This dish is new to me.looks so yummyy..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Shewtha, thalipu vadagam is a seasonning mixture. We add it in sambar, rasam, and dhals along with mustard seeds. It is typically made of dried small onions, garlic, and a few spices like mustard seedsm fenugreek seeds etc. I hope this answers your question :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi! you have a nice blog. you can visit my blog and give ur comments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Shwetha,

    I am so delighted that you tried and enjoyed this. Made my day! I've got a hubby, too, who eats meat, so I know how difficult juggling and coming to terms with a mixed kitchen is. ; P

    ReplyDelete